How to Succeed in the first 6 Weeks
We know that healing is based on a partnership and a process. It will take hard work on your part and ours to find and treat the root causes of your illness. We understand that this in depth healing process may feel overwhelming by the end of your visit. Following a step-by-step guide for how to get started on your healing journey can help. Follow these guidelines. Read the materials we provide for you to learn about the healing process or treatments we are recommending.
HOW TO SUCCEED IN THE FIRST 6 WEEKS – STEP 1: FINISH YOUR TESTING
This is important to do first so we can get a clear roadmap of where we are going, of the landscape of imbalances and dysfunction and causes for your illness. Prioritize this when you go home.
You may do your conventional tests at Quest Diagnostics preferred but you may also do them at Lab Corp or your local hospital
- Read the instructions with any Functional test kits you receive carefully BEFORE starting the tests. You may need to adjust your diet, supplements and fluid intake to collect accurate specimens. These results will provide helpful baseline information. Please complete the Organic Acid Testing and Stool Analysis prior to implementing any new supplement recommendations, unless otherwise instructed.
- Aim to complete all the specialty tests such as the stool, urine or saliva within one week after receiving them. It may take 4-6 weeks for some results to be final.
- If there are any results needing immediate attention, we will contact you.
- Your results will be sent to you before your follow-up appointment if follow up is by phone.
STEP 2: TAKE YOUR MEDICATIONS
- At times addressing the causes of disease requires medication – we may use Bio-Identical hormone therapy (thyroid, adrenal, or sex hormones), or medications to treat infections in the body or the intestinal tract.
- If you are prescribed antibiotics, anti-fungals, or anti-parasite medication, start them right after you do your testing. This is key to healing.
- The prescriptions will either be given to you or faxed directly to your pharmacy. Some may come from special compounding pharmacies that can be mailed to you or picked up.
STEP 3: PREPARE FOR THERAPEUTIC DIETARY CHANGES
- Prepare your kitchen by getting rid of foods you will no longer be eating (high fructose corn syrup, trans fats, processed foods, and food allergens).
- Create a shopping list to stock your pantry and buy the foods you need to start on your dietary program.
- Set aside time to plan your meals so you are not in a food emergency. We recommend you keep a daily food journal to track your progress.
STEP 4: START THERAPEUTIC DIETARY CHANGES
- Start the recommendations based on your visit – you may be on a program for metabolic syndrome, digestive healing, treating inflammation or detoxification.
- You most likely will be on some form of elimination diet. This is an important step in both diagnosis and healing.
- Review the handouts and meal suggestions
- If you need extra help, the nutritionist can create a detailed daily meal plan. See the options for these additional nutrition services in the Nutrition section of this binder.
- Make your nutrition appointment 4 weeks after your first visit to review your food sensitivity results, glucose/insulin testing, and all nutritionally relevant tests.
STEP 5: START YOUR SUPPLEMENTS
- Order the supplements from our online store on our website. The instructions for ordering are included in your binder. Delivery can take up to a week so plan ahead.
- Follow the instructions that were provided by the nutritionist on how and when to introduce your supplements.
- In general, start one new supplement every 2-3 days to be sure you tolerate them.
- Many of the supplements are meant to be used for 2-3 months for repair and healing, then modified based on how you do and what you need. It is a process that changes over time.
- Please contact your nutritionist for supplement-specific questions.
STEP 6: FIX THE GUT
- Cleaning up your diet and rebalancing your gut are the most important steps for healing during the first 6 weeks of your treatment.
- This may include an elimination diet; medications to treat bacteria, parasites, worms or yeast in the gut; as well as digestive enzymes, probiotics and nutrients for gut healing, such as fish oil, and an anti-inflammatory shake.
- Your digestion may go through some adjustments and changes, so be patient and stay in communication with us.
STEP 7: REVIEW YOUR RESULTS AND UPDATE YOUR HEALING PLAN
- Be sure to book your follow-up appointments BEFORE you leave.
- You will review your initial lab review and follow up in 2 weeks
- In 6-8 weeks you will review Additional Functional testing and follow up on medications started like thyroid, hormones or other medications
- After that follow ups are every 3 months and can vary depending on your clinical case may be sooner.